Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Happy Hens

I wrote this in summer near the end of August but the website had just gone down at that point so I never got round to posting it:

Why I am feeling happy as an organic hen, despite it having pissed down all day today:
1. Work was remarkably fluid and blessedly short now that I am down to dealing with only 18 spiky glassy-eyed but adorable three-spined sticklebacks a day, as compared to 38 last week.

2. Allowing me time to sit in a succession of cafes and common rooms where it was warm and not pissing it down and read Stephen Fry's "The Hippopotamus", a highly gripping, funny and inspirational novel about a deluded fifteen year old boy who has sex with an older woman, a horse, a former priest and a 14 year old girl with braces (orally), in that order.

3. At lunch, as I rose to put my tray away like a Good Citizen, my innocent wandering eye lit upon the open page of the book that the sad looking bloke in the mackintosh sitting next to me had been engrossed in: "Fifty Ways to Keep Your Lover". Feeling at risk of bursting out in public and unjustifiably cruel laughter, I hurriedly picked up my bag and cleared out to laugh further away from the source of merriment.

4. I am going home in 5 days, to see family and what friends remain in south east asia and me lovely lovely boyfriend (you are allowed to puke now, unless you are the said boyfriend).

5. I bought a Big Issue, which always puts me in a good mood because it assauges my guilt about not Saving the World. Cheap and awful, I know. Oh well.

6. Radio 2 plays wonderful jazz.

7. I'm alive! I'm alive!

That's seven good reasons to be happy, I think.

1 comment:

limz said...

a horse? did u say sex with a horse?that's freaking weird! ugh ugh ugh.. at 15? aiyo... heheh glad ur blog is back in order..keep writing
u need a tagboard